Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Why I Believe

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the LDS church or the Mormon church. My parents took me to church with them when I was a small child and I was baptized at the age of 8, but my conversion to the church was something that took place over a number of years (and it is still an ongoing process). There have been times in my life when I have been absolutely and unequivocally committed to the church and its teachings, and there have been times when I've simply gone through the motions but my heart has been elsewhere. In recent years I have found myself increasingly committed to the LDS church and its teachings, and increasingly grateful for its positive influence in my life.

To those who may be unfamiliar with the LDS church and its teachings, Mormons probably seem more than a little strange. We don't drink alcohol, we serve in church positions without pay (even the leaders of congregations volunteer their time), we don't have sex before marriage, we donate 10% of our income in tithing, and we build beautiful temples that only worthy members of our church of a certain age are allowed to enter. We believe in and regularly study the Bible, but we also believe in and regularly study a book of scripture known as the Book of Mormon. Because I was raised in Utah and brought up as a Mormon these things seem as normal to me as breathing air, but I have learned through conversations with others how strange some of our ideas sound to those who come from different backgrounds.

As you can imagine, being a member of a church with so many rules isn't always easy. I think members of other churches look at us sometimes and think, "Why do you make it so hard on yourselves? Just believe in God and believe that Christ has saved you; that's all that really matters." But Mormon beliefs about grace are different from those of other churches. We believe that Christ has saved us, that he died to free us from the bondage of sin and that it is only through him that we can hope to enter the gates of heaven. But we also believe that Christ expects us to do our part: to repent when we make mistakes, to treat others the way we would want to be treated, to keep the commandments and serve those around us. We believe that the good things we do qualify us for blessings in this life and the next. And we believe that Christ's grace is a very real power that can give us the ability to accomplish and become more than we could ever become on our own. We also believe that the Holy Ghost is a very real spirit being who influences our lives and speaks to us in quiet whispers, guiding our steps and strengthening our faith and helping us reach out to others with love.

Today, December 23, is the anniversary of the birth of the Prophet Joseph Smith, the founder of our church. We do not worship him, but we honor and respect him. He was born in 1805 and in 1820 was praying in a grove of trees when he saw a vision of God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. His intent in praying was to inquire which of the many churches was truly the church that Christ had established on the earth during his mortal ministry, and the answer he received was that Christ's church as it had been originally established was no longer found upon the earth. Joseph Smith was told about some gold plates that were buried in a hillside near his home that contained a record of the ancient inhabitants of the American continent, and through the power of God he translated the record into English and in 1830 it was published under the title "The Book or Mormon." I have read this book a number of times, and each time I read it I am strengthened by its doctrine and its stories of faith and miracles. I love the Book or Mormon and although it might seem like a bit of a difficult read at first because of its archaic words such as "thee" and "thou," it contains the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ and as Joseph Smith himself said, "... a [person can] get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."

I am not blind to the criticism the Mormon church regularly receives, but neither am I shaken by it. Why do I believe? Because I've tried living by the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I've tried living my own way, and it is abundantly clear that my life is better, my relationships are stronger, and my heart is filled with more joy when I am keeping the commandments than when I am not. I don't claim to speak for the church, and what I have said here is my own opinion and does not necessarily represent official doctrine. But if you are interested in learning more about the church and its teachings, you can start by visiting mormon.org. If you like what you see and want to know more, contact the church and ask for a visit from the Mormon missionaries: young men and women who have chosen to dedicate a period of their lives to sharing the good news of the gospel with all who will hear their message. If you listen to their words and do what they ask you to do, your life will change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment