Thursday, December 25, 2014

International Incident

12 Feb 2002

WELL, I made my first mistake as a goal judge today. No international incidents resulted, thanks to instant replay, but the puck hit the back crossbar and left the goal so quickly that I didn't see it. I also wasn't looking directly at the goal (as I should have been) and that was partly to blame. I'll do better tomorrow! In today's game, the Latvia men's team lost to Germany 4 to 1. Tomorrow I have two games. It will be a long day, but fun!
When I got home I watched the video of the game described above. After the goal was scored the announcers said, “Wasn't that a goal? I think that was a goal. But the light didn't go on. Why didn't the light go on? I think it was a goal.” I was so glad no one knew my name that day :)
I also got really sick during the Olympics, about as sick as I have ever been, but I wasn't about to miss my games. So I dragged myself to the hockey rink and pretend to be feeling fine while I performed my duties as a goal judge, then dragged myself home and lay on the couch until my next game. Gail and the kids were sick too, so I had to drive myself there and back. It was rough, but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment