Thursday, December 25, 2014

Star

For far too long I wandered strange roads
with empty hands and empty heart,
each passing year
taking me further from you.

When my journey led to nowhere
and my soul was burdened with care,
I fell to my knees
in anguished confusion.

Tired of fighting,
I finally let go of my wounded pride
and looked up.
That's when I saw
that you had never left me.
You were still there,
just as you have always been,
a light in the darkness.

I ran from you
when I should have run toward you.
I let go
when I should have held on,
and I thought only of myself
when I should have thought only of you.

But you welcomed me back with open arms
like the prodigal son that I am.
Your light guided me home,
and in your acceptance
I found a part of me that I'd forgotten,
but you remembered.

You showed me what it means
to forgive the deepest hurts,
and to be a true friend.
You healed my broken heart,
and now I can heal my broken life.


Stay close, sweet star,
and let your light burn bright.
With you in my sky
I can make it through
the darkest night.

No comments:

Post a Comment