Thursday, December 25, 2014

Prayer for a Lost Teddy Bear

When my youngest daughter was small she slept in the same bed with mom and dad. But she liked to thrash around a lot in her sleep, so one day after I woke up seeing stars and opened my eyes to see my daughters feet (that had just kicked me) next to my face, my wife and I came up with a plan to help her learn to sleep in her own room. I gave her a teddy bear named Sylvester that I had when I was a kid and told her if she slept with it then she wouldn't have bad dreams. I know I'm a horrible person for saying that to her, but I was desperate! And I paid for it a couple of times. The problem with having a single object that can help a child sleep is that when the object is gone (and this particular one was irreplaceable), the situation can become critical quite quickly.

One time we were traveling and we left Sylvester in the hotel room. We were several hours away when we realized our mistake, and we had to call the hotel and pay for the teddy bear to be overnighted to our current location. Another time we were at home and couldn't find Sylvester anywhere. We tore my daughter's room apart with no results. Finally my youngest daughter suggested that we should say a prayer. She said it, and as soon as she was done praying she opened her eyes and immediately said "look in the laundry basket." So we did, and found the teddy bear. Even though what she had prayed for might have seemed like a small thing, it was a big deal to her and God heard her innocent prayer and cared enough to gave her the answer she needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment