Thursday, February 17, 2011

Words

When I was young my mother taught me the common saying: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." At the time I accepted it as gospel, but with the passing years I have come to realize that it is completely false. Words can wound. Deeply. But they can also strengthen, motivate and heal.

Words are powerful. Their impact can be lasting whether they are written or spoken, whispered or screamed. Once they have reached their destination and been engraved upon a human heart, for good or for ill, they are impossible to take back. The average person speaks thousands of words each day, and millions in a lifetime. That translates into millions of opportunities to make the world a better place, to make someone smile, to touch someone's life.

In the information age we are constantly bombarded with messages of all kinds. We find positive and negative words in song lyrics and advertisements, on television and on the Internet, in newspapers, books and magazines, on billboards and in personal conversations. There is so much noise that silence sometimes seems like an impossibility. But this is also the age of personal music players, personal computers and smart phones. Such devices allow us to tune out the noise and choose which messages we want to hear. If we are selective, we can surround ourselves with words of affirmation.

There have been times in my life when I have used words to hurt others, and that is something I regret. Fortunately there have also been times when I have used words to encourage and inspire. Simple words like "thank you," spoken from the heart, can change lives. The words "I love you" can be misused, underused, or overused, but when spoken with unselfish sincerity they can cement the connection between two human beings and act as a salve to heal the bitter wounds of life. Words like, "I'm proud of you" or "I believe in you" can sink so deeply into our souls that they become a part of who we are.

I am certain that the saying I was taught as a child will continue to be passed down from generation to generation. But for those who recognize the true power of words, might I propose a slight alteration? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, and words may hurt me too. But when I speak with kindness it can help both me and you."

No comments:

Post a Comment