Thursday, February 24, 2011

Marriage

Falling in love is an amazing experience, but in marriage it's the ability to stay in love that separates the winners from the losers.

I have been married nearly 15 years, and I can honestly say that I know next to nothing about marriage. Fortunately my wife and I are very committed to each other, because if we had run at the first sign of trouble we wouldn't have even made it past our honeymoon! What little knowledge I've managed to gain has been learned the hard way, through trial and error. Being married certainly hasn't made me an expert, but here are a few "pearls of wisdom" I've managed to collect since I said, "I do":

-It is difficult, if not impossible, to have a happy life without a happy marriage.

-It is better to be her friend than to give her advice.

-I can't fix everything. Sometimes all I can do is hold her when she cries.

-It is better to make small adjustments along the way than wait until things are really broken before finally addressing a problem.

-I can't change my spouse, I can only change me.

-Love and sex are not synonyms.

-A bad marriage is worth trying to make better, and a good marriage is worth fighting for.

-A little help with housework can go a long way.

-When I'm not sure what to do to improve my marriage, it helps to think about the things I did for my wife when we were falling in love.

-Without trust, there can be no intimacy.

-It is better to give than to receive.

-If I'm not talking to her and spending time with her, I may have a marriage but I don't have much of a relationship.

-Jobs may come and go, friendships may begin and end, but marriages can last a lifetime (and beyond). Having a good marriage takes effort, but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment