Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Skating Lesson

Yesterday I joined my son's third grade class on a field trip to a local ice skating rink. I'm always search for metaphors that can help me understand life, and I found quite a few while I was observing him and his classmates. Most of them had very little skating experience, and when we first stepped onto the ice there were more kids lying on the ground than standing up. Here are some of the observations I made that I think are applicable to both skating and life:

-Learning how to get back up after you fall is one of the most important skills you can possess

-You learn how to catch yourself when you start to lose your balance long before you learn how to stay in balance

-Natural talent can go a long way: when I complimented a little girl who seemed to be one of the best skaters, she surprised me by saying, "This was my first time!"

-Comparing yourself to others often results in frustration and discouragement. If you've made even a little progress, you should be happy with your performance.

-The kids who weren't afraid of falling (taking risks) learned faster than the kids who took the timid approach.

-The kids who took the time to compliment my son even though he was struggling made his day (and mine).

-Sometimes you just need to sit down and rest for a while.

-You won't learn if someone's always holding you and is there to catch you every time you fall. You have to struggle on your own to discover your true abilities.

-Don't take it too seriously. Learn from your mistakes, be kind to others and have a little fun along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment