Monday, April 11, 2011

"Me" Time

All of us are carrying heaving loads, and sometimes life pulls us in so many directions that we find ourselves sacrificing important personal needs to satisfy the demands of others. This may be acceptable in the short-term, to get through a period of unusual stress, but in the long term it can take a serious toll on our mental and physical health. It can also affect our relationships as our internal imbalances make their way to the surface and taint our interactions with loved ones.

Everyone's definition of "me" time is different. Some people may prefer solitude while others seek more social escapes. I find that exercise is essential to my physical and mental health, and I also try to spend a little time each day reading, writing or playing the piano. Sometimes I go for a drive and leave the radio off so I can be alone with my thoughts. These activities help keep my stress levels manageable, and I am much more enjoyable to be around when I'm able to do a few things for myself each day.

It might seem selfish to take "me" time when there are other seemingly more important things to be done, but a 5, 10, or 15 minute "break" can do wonders for your ability to react to the challenges of life. There's a reason airlines tell you to put on your own oxygen mask before assisting children with theirs: you aren't much good to anyone if you're passed out on the floor, and if you find yourself emotionally asphyxiated you aren't much good to the people around you, either. A walk, a relaxing bath or shower, a few minutes alone to commune with God, a short nap, a favorite song or TV show--even taking a moment to gaze at a sunset or at the moon or stars--can do wonders for your happiness and, in turn, for the happiness of those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment