Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eternal Love

"I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul." -Psalm 31:7

When life brings disappointments I sometimes find myself longing for the safety I once felt while being held in my parents' arms. My accessible memories don't extend back that far, of course, but I can imagine how warm and comfortable it must feel to be wrapped in a blanket and encircled in the arms of someone who loves me and has only my best interests at heart.

When roads lead to dead ends, when darkness gathers, when suffering seems unbearable, when we can only stand by and watch while someone we love endures hardships, we must remember that we are never alone. We may be rejected by others, but we will never be rejected by God. His love for us is unconditional, and He has our best interests at heart. Our plans and projects may fail, our hopes and desires may come to nothing, but when we rely on His strength we will ultimately succeed in the things that matter most.

Victor Hugo said, "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved." This happiness is available to everyone, for though we may find ourselves feeling alone or unworthy of love at times, there is a Being who holds us in His hands. He can offer us comfort and safety in the midst of trials, and He understands the losses we have experienced. He knows our names, He knows our struggles, and He knows the secret pains we carry in our hearts. His way is not easy, but He invites us to come unto Him and be healed. When we trust in His eternal love we can be made whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment