Monday, March 7, 2011

Authentically Me

"Integrity is telling myself the truth." -Spencer Johnson

I once listened to a talented pianist perform an improvised piece and exclaimed after he finished, "I wish I could play like you!" In response he said, "You never will. You'll always play like you." I have thought about his comment over the years and realized that he is absolutely right. I may attempt to imitate others, but in the end my own talents, interests and personality traits will "flavor" everything I do.

Sometimes I do things for the wrong reasons: to avoid conflict, to imitate or please others, or because I think it's something I'm "supposed" to do. But usually when I commit to something for the wrong reasons, it isn't "authentically me" and doesn't really "stick."

As an example, I have dabbled in politics over the years, largely out of a sense of patriotism and duty. I enjoy many aspects of politics, but there can be a lot of conflict and vitriol as well. As a result, I find that when I go "too deep" or spend too much time in that arena, I become bitter and mentally exhausted. I recognize that political participation is the responsibility of every citizen in a republic, and I am more than willing to do my part. But I can say definitively that a career in politics wouldn't be "authentically me."

Integrity demands that I be true to myself. I am more likely to succeed when I'm working in areas that are "authentically me" than when I'm trying to please others or keep up appearances. Sometimes life feels like a masquerade ball, with interchangeable masks for various situations. But I will be happiest in situations where I can abandon those pretenses and simply be myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment