Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Safe and Warm


I've never had a son before,
so I hope you'll understand
if I make mistakes from time to time
while learning to be your dad.

I promise to do the best I can
to keep you safe and warm,
to protect you always from pain and harm
and shelter you from the storm.

I'll teach you by example
to treat a woman like a queen.
I'll show you what to do
when the other kids are mean.

I'll never leave you behind,
not while this heart beats in my chest.
You can count on me to be here,
and to give you my very best.

We may not always think alike,
but when we disagree,
I'll try to understand your views
and see the way you see.

I'll guide you when you're young,
I'll help you learn and grow.
And when you've become a man,
I'll lovingly let you go.

I'll set you free to live your life,
but this shouldn't make you sad.
You'll always be my little boy,
and I'll be your dear old dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment