Friday, September 16, 2011

Photo Session

On Labor Day this year my wife decided to take my kids to a park in Mapleton for a photo session. We usually get pictures at Target but wanted to try something different this year, and it worked out pretty well. We borrowed a nice digital camera from a friend and the weather cooperated (it was overcast but not raining).

We chose the Mapleton location because there is an old museum (and a cabin and a falling apart wagon) and we wanted the pictures to have kind of a rustic/old-fashioned feel. She and I both took pictures (I used my iPhone) and hers turned out much better than mine because she had a higher quality camera.

In this picture the wind happened to kick up and it made the girls looks like they were in a modeling session with a fan blowing on them:


It wasn't easy to get my son to have a nice natural smile (I think he inherited my non-photogenicness (yes, I just made up that word). At one point I asked his sisters to tickle him, but then he looked more surprised than happy so I decided to make jokes instead to try to get him to laugh and smile naturally.






When my oldest daughter was younger she didn't think much about her appearance, but that all changed last Easter when I was sitting next to her at my grandpa's house and she asked if she could dye her hair. I told her it was fine with me as long as she didn't dye it blue. She decided to dye it red, which I think is a great look for her. Now she spends a LOT of time brushing and curling her hair every day, which is fine as long as we're not in a hurry to get somewhere :) In these pictures she's wearing a whale tale necklace made of glass that we bought at Sea World. She also has a Stargate necklace (in the shape of the Stargate from the movie/TV show) that she likes to wear sometimes.






My youngest daughter has a perfect camera-ready smile that she can bring out any time. In between pictures the smile would disappear and she would look almost said, but when the camera was in front of her the smile would instantly come back. In these pictures she is wearing a necklace with "The One Ring" from Lord of the Rings, which is her favorite movie series.






I have been truly blessed with great kids, and they are growing up WAY too fast. I've tried to talk to them about slowing things down a little, but they don't seem to be listening. I was always in a hurry to grow up, too, but now that I'm older I wish I'd taken the time to enjoy my childhood a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment